Cholesterol is a chemical compound that our body requires to build block for cell membranes and for hormones (estrogen and testosterone). There are 2 types:
- Bad cholesterol (low density lipoproteins – LDL)
- Good cholesterol (high denstity lipoproteins – HDL)
The liver can produce 80 percent of it, the rest comes from eggs, fish, meat, poultry, eggs (food that comes from plants does not contain cholesterol).
LDL is responsible for plaque buildup in the blood arteries which blocks the blood flow to our mayor organs like kidneys, liver, brain, genitals. LDL is one of the main causes of hearth attack and diseases of cardiovascular system.
HDL is called ˝good˝ because it carries bad cholesterol that is unused back to he liver , where it is broke down and removed from our body.
Most common symptoms are yellowish patches around eyelids, whitish edges of cornea and deposits around cornea, coronary heart disease and stroke.
Best way to prevent it is to eat diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, exercise a lot, trying to manage your weight and stop smoking. HDL levels often increase as you get older, you have to pay attention to what you eat and exercise from time to time, as you get older. HDL is just one of the risk of cardiovascular diseases and heart attack, but you should also pay attention to high blood pressure and diabetes to reduce overall risk.
Best home remedies to reduce high cholesterol
- Try to drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water per day to stimulate the activity of kidney , thereby reduce excessive cholesterol from system
- Try to exercise to improve blood circulation and enhance good cholesterol level (try with exercises like jogging, swiming, walking and bicycling)
- Try to eat a lot of garlic because it lowers LDL more than 10 percent and increases the HDL
- Ginger is known to reduce LDL and it thins the blood which improve circulation
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoids can lower LDL (consult your doctor for best dosage)
- Recipe for reducing high cholesterol: mix together 1 tablespoon of roasted chicory root, 1 tablespoon of lime flowers, half tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and ginger rhizome and 1 l of water, boil that, cool it and strain it. Drink about 1-2 cups a day.
- Guggul can reduce bad cholesterol by 35% and increases good cholesterol by 20 % in just 3 months,and it also prevents arteriosclerosis
- Eating unprocessed fiber rich wheat flour, whole wheat bread are rich in insoluble fiber which helps in flushing out oil from the intestine
- Mix together cup of buttermilk, chopped onion and half spoon of black pepper, taken regulary it helps to reduce LDL level