Anemia is a disease or condition of a decreases cell count in blood, decreased level of hemoglobin content in the blood.
Red blood cells in our blood are responsible for carrying oxygen to the cells via hemoglobin, and a lower amount of red blood cells means lower level of oxygen in our body´s tissues ( for the pregnat women it would mean a less oxygen for the baby as well).
Main cause for anemia is loss of blood, it means that there is not enough red cell in the blood, not enough cell is produced or being killed off; that is why the home remedies for anemia are one of the best solution to treat anemia.
Many diseases and medical conditions can cause anemia, these are some of the common causes of anemia:
- Anemia from active bleeding – It can be blood loss due to big menstrual bleeding or wounds that cause heavy bleeding. Also the cancer of the colon or gastrointestinal ulcers can cause anemia
- Anemia from iron deficiency – For making red blood cells bone marrow need iron. Iron is important part of the hemoglobin molecule; lower intake of iron can cause iron deficiency anemia. This type of anemia can be also cause by stomach ulcer or any other chronic bleeding ( cancers such as colon or uterine cancer, hemoroids & intestinal polyps).
Symptoms of anemia:
- looking pale
- decreased energy
- shortness of breath
- palpitations ( heart racing or beating irregularly)
Home remedies for anemia:
- Home remedies for anemia are very simple, first of all you need to take care of your diet, get enough proper nutrients by eating cereals, rice, milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits and vegetables, fish, meat, eggs, nuts and dry beans ; this can help you strenghten your immune system.
- Almonds contain a lot of copper, which along with iron and other vitamins acts as catalyst in the synthesis of hemoglobin; that´s why almonds are great home remedies for anemia.
- Also eat a lot of iron rich food like beets, green leafy vegetable, liver, brown rice, dried fruits, raisins, prunes, bread made from hole grain flour, oyster, bran flake.
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea and ingesting antacids, because they decrease iron absorption.
- Try to cook in iron pots; it is proven that doing it can significantly increases the amount of iron in your foods.
- During your pregnancy it’s important to take the correct vitamins that will help you and your baby to be healthy.
- Diet is of utmost importance in the treatment of anaemia. Refined foods like white bread, polished rice, sugar, and desserts rob the body of its much-needed iron. Iron should preferably be taken in its natural organic form in food. The emphasis in the diet should be on raw vegetables and fresh fruits which are rich in iron. Eliminate junk foods from your diet, especially fried foods as these foods are high in calories but very low in their nutritional value.
- Manganese is helpful for protein and fat metabolism, healthy nerves, immune system and blood sugar regulation. Manganese is essential for people with iron deficiency anemias.
- Soya bean is rich in iron and also has a high protein value. As most anaemic patients usually also suffer from a weak digestion, it should be given to them in a very light form, preferably in the form of milk, which can be easily digested.